White Gold is, via family favours, it's on its way to a producer of period drama & whoever else my fabulous 2nd cousin (twice removed) can think of. A fantastic writing buddy, Jane Eden (http://theagency.co.uk/the-clients/jane-eden/) has passed on Special Unit to a producer, Hayley McKenzie has sent SU to 2 prod co's, White Gold to another. Another Prod Co also has SU, while a contact from London Screenwriter Festival's #Pitchfest has read Special Unit and, though it's not for them, invited more tv ideas.
So... Traction! A small but growing database of production companies and producers who have opened the door on my scripts. The years of bashing my head on a brick wall has created a chink!
This year I've taken a punt on the Beeb's writersroom, which I've 'nearly' won previously (apparently!), and I think I'll go for C4's scheme too later this month... plus the usual competitions for a bit of excitement, rather than expectation of work..
Re Agents... Interesting article here on the 'sellingyourscreenplay' website about getting an agent - yes, to try, but actually not to stress too much as they mightn't be a huge help! They certainly aren't able (or willing) to help until you're ready, which means of a standard where you can create and recreate solid work - and take criticisms.
Still, I'm mining firstwriter.com presently, building up my database of contacts. I note the advice that even companies with a no-contact policy are worth a punt, so I'm in the process of refining my query letter/emails and sending out requests. Generally a weekend job for me, in the wee small hours when I should be fast asleep.
Also, Jane has also got me an intro with an agent so who knows!
So I'm not there, but my steps to date:
- Training, specifically 2Phils weekend, where I learnt loads and met some fabulous people..
- Raindance - evening classes, weekend classes & workshops ... where I met my talented writing partner, Delphine.
- London Screenwriter's Festival, which gave me education, encouragement and, best of all, Script Angel and many, many more writing friends. These friends who are helping me open doors, and I hope vice-versa
- Competitions (a handy list here)- to open doors and put a little something on my cv. I owe my IMDb profile to my Page Awards win
- Script Angel editorial / mentor services - did I already mention Hayley? I think so! And again below...
- AND hours and hours and hours and hours of writing.
- More hours of writing, every single day of the year
Ultimately, I'm truly blessed to be a natural optimist. The vast majority of the time, I genuinely believe that if you work hard enough, you can achieve anything. Still, there are slumps when I think "I'll never succeed, I'm rubbish" - which is where Hayley comes in. I've just finished a 6 month program with Hayley, but I restart in Jan to get my next tv series buff.
Hayley is a wonderful combination of gentle support, kick-arse critique and an adrenalin shot of positivity that I can fall back on to keep me going.
Keep at it!